Off Season at Typhoon Lagoon means NO LINES!
Part 6 is here!!! I will discuss one of the water parks at Disney World called Typhoon Lagoon and I will also talk about Disney Springs. Both places add a little extra pizzazz to an already amazing trip. Read on to find out how you can have an amazing trip to these places as well.
Walt Disney World, Family Edition, Part 1
Walt Disney World, Family Edition, Part 2
Walt Disney World, Family Edition, Part 3
Walt Disney World, Family Edition, Part 4
Walt Disney World, Family Edition, Part 5
This particular trip to Disney World we did some things differently. First of all, this is by the far the longest trip we have ever taken to the park, and we loved it. We stayed for 8 nights, and played for 9 days, so we really got to experience many things we have never experienced before. One of which was a water park at the resort called Typhoon Lagoon. We also went to a restaurant at Disney Springs called T-Rex. Although we had been to Disney Springs before, this was a new restaurant, and it was not something we usually have time to do, but with such an extended trip, we really got to see and do everything. Read on to find out how you can make the most of your trips to both these areas. Again, I would only do these things if you have a truly extended trip. These places will really add to the experience.
As I mentioned in a previous post, we bought our tickets through a university to attend a graduation at the resort. We were given a special link to order the tickets. One of the perks was a pretty nice discount on park tickets AND it included an extra ticket to one of the Disney water parks. We were spending 9 days at the resort, so we took a day off from the big parks and spent an awesome day at Typhoon Lagoon. They do have a waterpark option when you buy the tickets. If you do plan on doing the water park, make sure you add it in when you purchase the tickets to the park, because you get a discount as opposed to paying full price at the gate.
Tips and Tricks
- Bring your own towel and sunscreen – You can rent towels for a small fee at the park or just bring your own. Sunscreen is pretty expensive at the resort, so make sure you buy and bring before you have to pay the upcharge.
- Underwater Camera – We brought a disposable underwater camera to get some pics of the park. We now have a fancy one, but the disposable worked great too. You can see the quality of the disposable camera pics for yourself throughout this post. Make sure you also buy the disposable waterproof camera before you come to the park as well. They sell them for a reasonable price at your local pharmacy.
- Money – Attach a credit card to your Magic Band and you will not have to bring money to the park with you, which means you won’t have to buy a locker, which means you will save money. The Magic Bands work as your park ticket, room key, and payment, and best of all, they are waterproof, so all you really need is a towel, sunscreen, waterproof camera, and your Magic Band.
- Life Jackets – You don’t need to bring your own life jackets for your children, in fact, floaties, pool toys, and personal life jackets are not allowed in the park, so make sure you don’t bring that stuff. They have several locations around the park that have big stands of life jackets with various sizes, you don’t even have to check them out, just grab and go.
Lazy River fun!
- Park Opening/Closing – When we went the park was only open from 10:00 – 5:00, so we pretty much went when the park opened and left after it closed. It worked great. In the morning there was no one there, some larger school groups came midday, and left before the park closed. We did have to wait awhile for a shuttle to take us back to the hotel at the end of the day, but it wasn’t too bad.
MVP (My Vacation Pants) Tip: The water parks are open year round and it is always pretty warmish in Florida. Escape the crowds by going to the water parks in the winter months. They tend to be very busy in the Spring and Summer, so even if it seems weird to visit a water park in January you may want to hit it up anyway.
- Pacing – Remember they have shorter hours, so make sure you plan to stay the length of the day from opening to closing if you want to experience everything. We barely stood in any lines at all in early February and we got to see everything. I can imagine on a crowded day you might want to stick to my recommendations below.
- My Vacation Pants Recommendations: The wave pool is a pretty epic one. You can stay in calmer sections for the littles as well. Over to the side of the lagoon they have kid water slides that my kiddos went on about 50 times, so that’s a great way to enjoy the wave pool and the kiddie section. Our other favorite attraction was the family inner tube ride. We really enjoyed piling in the tube together and riding down the slide. It’s a good workout bringing that inner tube up the hill too.
Disney Springs is basically an outdoor marketplace with restaurants and shops. They have everything you ever wanted to buy Disney. You can’t help but get caught up in the cuteness. On this trip, we got done with Typhoon Lagoon at 5:00 and had definitely worked up an appetite playing in the sun and water all day. We took the shuttle from the hotel to Disney Springs for dinner. I believe they have put in a parking structure since we have been. Parking is complimentary.
Tips and Tricks
- It is busy in the evening. They have a movie theater, popular restaurants, shopping, and shows, so get there early if you need to make a reservation or show. The website recommends getting there at least 60 minutes before your reservation. It’s a very huge place, so you may park and get dropped off far from where you need to be, so plan ahead.
- Make reservations for dining well ahead of time. You can make your dining reservations the same way you make reservations for the parks. Make them online through the Walt Disney World website.
- We did not go to the Cirque Su Soleil La Nouba Show on this last visit, but we have gone before and it is quite an amazing show. I highly recommend going if you have not seen it before. Make sure you make reservations ahead of time though. My friend booked his tickets last minute and got a great deal, but we sat in three different seats around the theater, but it didn’t matter. It’s not like you are talking during the show anyway.
- My Vacation Pants Recommendations –
- Rain Forest Cafe – So they have two locations at Disney World, but I had to give you this little tip. Go to the Rain Forest at Disney Springs instead of the one at Animal Kingdom. They are both cool. They have animantronics, waterfalls, and aquariums, but the one at Disney Springs is inside of a volcano that fake erupts every once in awhile. I think the architecture is so cool there. Make sure you make your reservations for at least one of these, especially if you have never been to a Rain Forest Cafe.
- T-Rex Restaurant – So this place was really fun. We highly enjoyed being whisked back to the prehistoric times and eating in an ice cave. This place is owned and operated by the same place that owns Rain Forest Cafe, so it is a similar experience, but I really liked the experience, and so did my kiddos.
- Our Favorite Stores: Check out Goofy’s Candy Company. You will indulge in some yummy Disney themed desserts. Also, it will be hard to miss the Lego Imagination Center. They have huge Lego displays outside the store, in the fountains and lakes, and inside the store as well. It is quite amazing. World of Disney is spectacular. If you can’t find a souvenir to commemorate your Disney World trip in this place, you ain’t finding it anywhere else. The Ghirardelli Chocolate Shop and Soda Fountain is amazing as well. The My Vacation Pants Family likes Vanilla Malts with extra malt. Yum, yum!
I know you’ll have enough to do on this fantastic trip, but if you have time, these two stops will pizazz up your visit even more during your stay. I have truly enjoyed taking you on this wild Walt Disney World journey. Hope you found these posts helpful in planning your future trips. Please use the links below to let me know how your trip was. Would love to hear from some vacation pantsers!!! Have a great trip and Walt Disney World on.
Follow My Vacation Pants on Social Media: